About Me

My photo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Just a happy 23 year old with Bipolar. Attempting to make a little bit of a difference to enhance this beautiful world. I choose rose-tinted sunglasses. xo

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Couchsurfing Virgin

I am no longer a couchsurfing newbie! For those of you who are unfamiliar with the concept, Couchsurfing is an online community of people who offer their homes to travellers. Basically you can sleep at their place and they show you their city.
I am currently in Zaragoza, Spain and staying with a guy that I met online, Stefano. After a two hour flight from Paris, sitting next to this extremely sweet older spanish couple, who insisted on talking to me in Spanish like I could understand, I arrived at the Zaragoza airport and found my way into the city.
What a beautiful city it is! The weather here is in the high teens and twenties during the day with a clear sky and a sun that is always shining. There is an extreme wind though that makes you thankful for having a coat and scarf.
My first evening Stefano toke me on a walk around the city to see the major sites. We found an outdoor concert and listened to a funny band, although I understood only a few words... My highschool Spanish class hasnt helped me that much here. We met with other couchsurfers from Brazil who are currently living in Spain for some drinks and communication was difficult but managed (I spoke French and English, Stefano spoke Italian, Spanish and English, and the friends from Brazil spoke Portuguese, Spanish, and English). My love affair with Brazilians continues :)
On Sunday we continued our tourist endevours, again with the Brazilians to a famous Arabic palace in the city, Aljaferia. Then followed to another bar, this time a Brazilian one to have some drinks.
Yesterday I toured by myself as Stefano had school and found what I think is probably one of the coolest things in the world, the Zaragoza Sonic Forest. It is an exhibition in a park area consisting of twenty some metal poles that are all light and motion sensitive and play different sounds when people are around. Its like an urban rainforest. I sat there for way too long and got lost in the music.
Today I must fly back to Paris and return to my "real life" if you could even call it that. But I highly recommend that everyone look into the Couchsurfing concept as it is truely an amazing idea and practiced by such generous and welcoming people: www.couchsurfing.org for those of you who are interested in finding out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment